Is a search result necessary for a successful bind?

Is a search result necessary for a successful bind?

I'm setting up authentication to an LDAP server that appears to disallow user
results retrieval even for the own object. The attached patch (opt1) allows
authentication to proceed. Is the check for an LDAP result necessary if
myldap_search() reports success? If not, perhaps the myldap_get_entry() call is
also not needed (opt2, which also works with my environment)?

Thank you!

Ken