ssh public key auth using pam_ldap

I am trying to configure pam and/or nslcd to query an AD/LDAP server when a user accesses a system via SSH using public key authentication.

I have successfully configured nslcd to query the AD/LDAP server and filter on a specific group. Unfortunately it does not appear to apply if the user is accessing the system using public key authentication. I have attempted a number of different sshd pam configuration changes and have added a pam_authz_search entry to nslcd.conf, but unfortunately none appear to be getting used.

Is this even possible or am I going down the wrong route?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Jason