Re: [nssldap] Re: disconnected nss_ldap

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 20:36 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:

Use OpenLDAP's nssov overlay plus your choice of either proxycache or
syncrepl. Both will work fine; your choice depends on whether the disconnected
machine is a single-user machine (then just use proxycache) or a multi-user
machine (then you might want to use syncrepl instead).

So, some googlin' given that this nssov is new to me... it seems that I
run a full fledged LDAP server (slapd) on every client?

Wow.  That seems a might overkill also.  Workstations are already so
overly bloated, adding an LDAP server just to deal with disconnected use
just seems like over-engineering the problem.

OpenLDAP is probably the least bloated solution you'll find. I have it running on my G1 phone, the process size is only 1.5MB. See how big all those other solutions are when configured as well as possible, that still don't solve the actual problem. Plus it's remotely configurable, which makes it far more manageable than any other approach...

--
  -- Howard Chu