Request Attribute lists and maps

I am looking at using nss-pam-ldapd in an embedded system to authenticate against Active Directory.

I am currently prototyping this with the regular pam-ldap components on a Centos 5.4 release, and looking to switch to your modules. I am running simple binds in an TLS session. I am not running SASL or Kerberos.

Due to network service costs, I am interested in reducing the number of bytes exchanged on the network. Is it possible to tell the LDAP service that I only want a few specific of the users attributes returned on the network,
using the map directives in nslcd.conf ??
Most of the documentation about the map lines talking about the return editing
and there is a dearth of information on how it affects the search request, if at all.

Thanks,
Dave.