nslcd issues and questions

Hi All,

I have two issues. For the last 12 months i have been using pam_ldap, nss_ldap and MSSFU3.5 for user auth on all of my Centos5.x servers. It has been a pleasure. I've just now setup a centos 6 test machine and all sorts of dramas have become apparent.

Firstly, it is not clear to me the relationship between pam_ldap.conf and nslcd.conf. They seem to duplicate configuration but can also work together in that some configuration can be in both, but some must be in either. My assumption is that on centos, being that pam_ldap is a requirement for nss-pam-ldapd, the pam_ldap.so is still provided by pam_ldap. A quick rpm -ql proves this. I would like to know in what way are they exclusive of one another. What exactly is nslcd reading from each conf and in what order of precedence. Is pam_ldap able to make LDAP connections separately from nslcd and when would it do this? If i set my nss mappings in one, does it override the other? I'm no wiz at C code so i thought I'd ask for the flow here before doing my head in trying to read pam_ldap.so.

Secondly, i can see that as of a previous nss-pam-ldapd, usernames are now case sensitive. This causes great drama in a Windows 2008R2 environment as Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to capitalise the initials of a username. For example, cfunnell is now CFunnell. This means that my user logins to all Centos 6 machines must be typed in a case sensitive way. Not a massive problem, but a workaround would be lovely.

Thank you!
Colby