Re: user can't log in, troubleshooting hints?

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 04:34:10PM -0400, Christopher Wood wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:00:18PM +0200, Arthur de Jong wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 14:05 -0400, Christopher Wood wrote:
> > > How to best troubleshoot one particular user who cannot log in?
> >
> > The information provided should already be quite helpful. The changed
> > usernames make things a bit more difficult though. Are you sure the uid
> > field is all that is different between both entries?
>
> Come to think of it, no. There are several different member attributes
> between the two entries. (Apart from the differences in uidNumber, uid, dn,
> homeDirectory.)

Well, this is really embarrassing. The pertinent difference was that the
loginShell on the problem entry was "bash", but "/bin/bash" on the working
entries.

In the previous in-house system an agent on various hosts would set the user's
shell in /etc/passwd to a valid value based on a system-specific path to the
named shell. In the pure ldap-based authentication land, the loginShell value
has to match something in /etc/shells.