Re: libnss-ldapd on Debian Lenny

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 10:28:11AM -0800, Ben Hodgens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing some problems with 100+ debian 5 lenny machines running
> nss-ldapd connecting to a debian 6 (squeeze) ldap server. I'm using TLS and
> have the machines set up for system-wide pam auth via ldap.
>
> I noticed this problem from the mailing list is similar to what I'm
> experiencing:
> http://lists.arthurdejong.org/nss-pam-ldapd-users/2010/msg00142.html
>
> From what I'm seeing, it looks like "something" is leaving the ldap
> connection in a half-connected state. Another search is attempted and, while
> the client thinks the connection is still current/open, the server does not
> and the search fails/returns a negative "no such user" response. Going
> through both the server and client logs, I was frequently unable to locate
> the connection attempt on the server log side that matched the "no available
> LDAP server found" or "Can't contact LDAP server" from the client.

The phrase "half-connected state" implies firewall to me: some stateful device
in between the client and server may be timing out inactive sockets. (Which
they have to or the list of connections will overflow.) Your client logs
definitely resemble mine while I was having this problem.

I solved this by adding "idle_timelimit 30" to my nslcd.conf.

If you don't have a firewall in between and neither side is timing out sockets
then I'm not sure what's going on.