-----Original Message-----
From: nss-pam-ldapd-users
[nss-pam-ldapd-users-bounces+pagej=gilbarco.com [at] lists.arthurdejong.or
g] On Behalf Of Henrik Grindal Bakken
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 9:17 AM
To: nss-pam-ldapd-users@lists.arthurdejong.org
Subject: nss-pam-ldapd, AD and binding

Hello.  I want to set up pam+nss ldap support against an AD server
(preferably not using e.g. centrify), but I have a bit of a problem.

The AD installation in question does not allow anonymous search, so I have
to bind.  I *could* add a bind user with password and all, but this is quite
a lot of pain (I need to change the password of that user all the time, I
need passwords written down, etc, etc).

What I'd like is for my pam module to bind to AD using short form
(username@domain.com or DOMAIN\username) -- which it has[0] -- and the
user's password (which it has).  Further, I'd like nslcd to retrieve enough
info at that time so it wouldn't have to look up anything else (otherwise
how would nss later work, since the password is now lost).

In a pinch, nslcd could cache the user password, but that sounds like a bad
idea.

Is this possible?

[0] - It would have to be configurable how to create the shortform from
      a username, but that's a lot less configuration than a binddn and
      bindpw (perhaps not a lot less, but at least it's not a password).

--
Henrik Grindal Bakken <hgb@ifi.uio.no>
PGP ID: 8D436E52

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
by email by replying to the sender and delete this message.  The
sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer
to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the
foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or
other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included
in any attachment.