Re: Query about authinfo_unavail and user_unknown behaviour

On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 19:19 +0200, Berend De Schouwer wrote:
> I'm running nss-pam-ldapd against an OpenLDAP server, and I've
> encountered some unexpected behaviour. I'd like to know if this is
> as designed, or not.
>
> Expected behaviour:
>
>  - nslcd down => authinfo_unavailable
>  - nslcd up, ldap down => authinfo_unavailable
>  - nslcd up, ldap up, record not found => user_unknown
>  - nslcd up, ldap up, record found => test password
>
> Actual behaviour:
>
>  - nslcd down => authinfo_unavailable
>  - nslcd up, ldap down => user_unknown
>  - nslcd up, ldap up, record not found => user_unknown
>  - nslcd up, ldap up, record found => test password

The expected behaviour is indeed cleaner and should be the case ever
since 0.8.3. I just did some testing with 0.9.4 and pam_ldap should
return PAM_AUTHINFO_UNAVAIL if nslcd is up but the LDAP server is
unavailable (at least for auth).

The relevant change that was done is here:
http://arthurdejong.org/git/nss-pam-ldapd/commit/?id=9798073e767026ae86e32022e9995a008a688f7e

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - http://arthurdejong.org/ --