Why does nslcd require LDAP user entry objectClass=posixAccount?

Why does nslcd require LDAP user entry objectClass=posixAccount?

I am working on a project to support LDAP user authentication.  I encounter this problem when configuring pam_ldap module  to authenticate LDAP user where nslcd appears to require posixAccount attributes for LDAP users.  Otherwise, I get errors such as: “passwd entry <xxxx> does not contain uidNumber value”.

None of my LDAP user entries has “objectClass=posixAccount”, therefore, it does not have uidNumber attribute nor gidNumber, loginShell etc.   I imagine there has to be a config setting where I can get around this…  I already have

filter passwd (objectClass=person)

in nslcd.conf.  What else do I have to change so that nslcd won’t require posixAccount attributes like uidNumber?

I have been struggling with this for two days and I am really pulling my hair out trying to get this to work without having to add posixAccount to my user entries.  Please help!!