Overhead if we have single nsswitch.conf for ldap/linux users

Overhead if we have single nsswitch.conf for ldap/linux users

Hi Arthur,

In our setup we support both local(pam_linux) and ldap authentication, As part of this configuration we have to
make changes in the nsswitch file to include the ldap for passwd,groups and shadow module.

Do you see any overhead of keeping both modules in the nsswitch file even if the ldap service is
disabled?

Let's take the following configuration.

=> Ldap service(nslcd) is disabled
=> nsswitch have the ldap entry for the passwd,groups and shadow module.

Our intention was to have single nsswitch conf file and don't do any run time changes whether the ldap is configured or not.

Do you see any overhead here like increase time of authentication response etc?

As per my understanding that nscd creates a cache for all the users when nslcd starts,

In my testing I  have tested  both local and ldap users but dont see any issues.

What is your view on the same?

Thanks and Regards,
Raviteja Bailapudi
IBM Systems &Technology Lab, Firmware Development,