Re: [nssldap] release 0.2 of nss-ldapd

Klaus Steinberger wrote:
Am Montag 18 Juni 2007 schrieb Ralf Haferkamp:
On Monday 18 June 2007 17:39, Buchan Milne wrote:

In disucssions with Howard Chu, he indicated that if he were to re-design
nss_ldap, it would be a slapd caching proxy ...
Or even a local syncrepl replica instead of a proxy (when the source is a
syncrepl aware LDAP Server). But this would still mean that the NSS module
needs to link against some LDAP client library, which will get you back to
the symbol clashing issue (unless you link statically, which has other
disadvantages).

A syncrepl replica would not be a good choice, as it would only talk with OpenLDAP. There are other LDAP Servers out there (and for some good reason) like Novell's Edirectory.

It doesn't have to only use syncrepl.

Also I think a proxy slapd is a bad choice too for those reasons:

- a too big thing for every workstation , like shooting with guns on little birds

Considering that slapd has been embedded into cell phones I don't think this is a valid concern.

- too complicated setup

For dedicated use as an nss_ldap mechanism the setup can be totally canned and automated.

- it will have maybe also trouble with some other LDAP servers

Nonsense.

So please do it "KISS"

From what I have read in the discussion, a daemonized nss_ldap sounds like a interesting solution, it looks like it really solves some of the trouble I see with nss_ldap (even blocking the whole net on a dead nameserver). And it seems to be a simple enough setup.

Your definition of "Simple" is broken though; a special-purpose nss_ldap daemon still doesn't solve the pam_ldap problem which has just as many conflict issues as nss_ldap. The problem remains the same, no matter what labels you stick onto it. You need an IPC mechanism to link the pam application to the daemon. You need to define a protocol for communication over this IPC. Any good solution that you come up will have to address the same set of issues. In the end what seems like a compact, simple idea will bloat. The only way to control the bloat is to limit yourself to a very small set of protocol operations, and use a very small API. Currently a lot of #ifdef hell in the pam/nss_ldap source is there to accommodate multiple target servers and multiple LDAP APIs. Standardize on a single API and that simplifies things immensely.
--
  -- Howard Chu