[nssldap] overwriting LDAP values locally

[nssldap] overwriting LDAP values locally

Hi guys,

This might not be a question for this list but am trying my luck anyway.

Our Linux boxes using LDAP/ AD authentication. This works fine and all as expected.

Now I came across the need to modify one of those values locally, I need to change the home directory. I can't change the value in ldap as it would break on and other

I tried the following, I added to /etc/passwd

+userA:::::/home/u/userA

+userB:::::/home/u/userB

And in /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd: compat

passwd_compat: ldap

I have to have those home directories set for SSH logins to work. When I changed  it as explained above userA and userB get in fine. The problem is now that I get a permission denied for userC. Unlike userA and userB, userC has the correct home directory in LDAP .

So fixing one thing breaks something else. In short how can I maintain LDAP functionality and overwrite certain values in /etc/passwd

Cheers

Guy Defryn

Systems Engineer
ITS Massey University