Re: [nssldap] Login problem, when ldap servers are not available

----- Original Message ----- From: "Buchan Milne" <bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net>
To: "Markus Moeller" <huaraz@moeller.plus.com>
Cc: <nssldap@padl.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: [nssldap] Login problem, when ldap servers are not available

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 10:52:10 Markus Moeller wrote:
I have problems with login on the console as root when the network is down.
After password verification it halts and the I get a timeout and get
disconnected.

I am running Suse SLES 10 with:

ldap.conf

uri ldaps://ldapserver1 ldaps://ldapserver2
base ou=posix,dc=example,dc=com
ldap_version 3
binddn uid=admin,dc=example,dc=com
bindpw admin
timelimit 10
bind_timelimit 2
pam_password md5
nss_map_attribute      uidnumber userid
nss_initgroups_ignoreusers root,ntp,nobody

IMHO, this ^^^ is the wrong fix. While there may be other issues, I would
personally use:

bind_policy soft

which should fix the same issue nss_initgroups_ignoreusers fixes, and fix your
login timeout when LDAP servers are not available.

When I use bind_policy soft does it mean all servers in the list are tested before giving up ? When will the client retry connections to the server ? Will nscd need to be cleared and restarted when the ldap server is back ?

A nssswitch.conf with

passwd    files ldap [UNAVAILABLE=return]
group    files ldap [UNAVAILABLE=return]

seem to do the same. Is that OK too ?

Regards,
Buchan

Thank you