Re: [nssldap] lookup delay using nss_ldap with Active Directory

Re: [nssldap] lookup delay using nss_ldap with Active Directory

Dax Kelson wrote:
On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 10:58 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:

That's why we recommend using OpenLDAP nssov now. You can use OpenLDAP's
proxycache for reliable caching.

http://www.symas.com/ldapcon2009/papers/hyc1.shtml

How does that compare to SSD (https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/) ?

sssd is a more generic solution, but it requires new infrastructure. nssov is an LDAP-specific solution, and it's all administrable within LDAP. Managing nssov remotely across thousands of nodes is easy, since nodes can simply replicate their configurations via LDAP. sssd uses an app-specific private database, so it's not really a distributed design.

sssd is only a caching solution, you still need nss_ldap + pam_ldap or whatever other pam/nss mechanisms. nssov has integrated centralized and distributed policy management, which is again remotely configurable using LDAP.

nssov is extremely simple code and can be shown to be bug-free by mere inspection. Configuration is simple. It Just Works. ...

sssd has a lot of moving parts; auditing the code is non-trivial. Configuration is complex. ...

Naturally you shouldn't take my word for it, you should compare for yourself.
--
  -- Howard Chu