Re: [nssldap] lookup delay using nss_ldap with Active Directory

Re: [nssldap] lookup delay using nss_ldap with Active Directory

Hi Brett, Thanks again for your suggestions. I should have thought to turn on debugging sooner! I was looking into MTU and reading the ChangeLogs and trying
some other setting modifications, all to no avail.

2. I vaguely remember having to enable or disable referrals in LDAP client
/etc/ldap.conf (I can't remember which, I'll check when I get home)

I'm not very familiar with LDAP referrals, but turning them off has fixed my
problems!

When I turned on debugging, I saw a bunch of these messages being displayed when
referrals were on (which they were by default).

Unable to chase referral
"ldap://ForestDnsZones.production.domain.com/DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=production,DC=domain,DC=com"
(-1: Can't contact LDAP server)
Unable to chase referral
"ldap://DomainDnsZones.production.domain.com/DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=production,DC=domain,DC=com"
(-1: Can't contact LDAP server)

Turning off referrals seems to make everything work as expected. I'll keep an eye on the CPU usage levels on the servers and test nscd if I think caching
becomes necessary.

Thanks everyone!
--
Jonathan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail. Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

Hello, like you , I use AD (2k3 R2), nss_ldap, and pam_krb5,samba for my file servers hosting home directories and roaming profiles. Our school environement is quite big : root Ad forest with 4 child domains and sites, and about 3000 user objects and 500 computer objects. It was a way to have same files for users on windows workstation via samba or Linux workstations via NFS. Unix attributes (uids,gids,home directories) are stored directly in AD (possible since R2) and readable by nss_ldap. For the binding DN, I use a pre windows 2000 member user who can read all Ad's attributes.

The tip is to use AD Global's catalog on port 3268 instead of domain LDAP via port 389. GC is a "flattened" ldap view of the forest which gets rid of cross reference membership http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728188%28WS.10%29.aspx.

- I use the "member" attribute for mapping instead of "memberof", only primary group is necessary. I have also manually added audio,plugdev,floppy.... groups in AD with corresponding gid for our debian/ubuntu workstations, and directly added concerned users in those ones.

Some missing attributes in GC could be added via schemas config msc but I don't remeber if it is necessary for default use.

This solution works for years now, with nscd, and very happy with it. There were some issue without nscd. The important thing is also time synchro because of kerberos. ntpd seems not compatible with Domain controlers so I used ntpdate via cron instead.

"id samaccountname" is responsive "ls -l" also, a bit quicker with nscd.

Raphaël