uid with ":" (colon) not a valid username ?

uid with ":" (colon) not a valid username ?

Hi,

I am using nss-pam-ldapd 0.7.13 and have configured it to an LDAP server.

In the LDAP server, I have a user name with ":" (colon) in it.

When I do a getent passwd, I see that nslcd logs the following error
and "getent passwd" doesn't list that user account at all -

nslcd: [588f54] passwd entry
uid=test_user:IT,ou=people,dc=xx,dc=xx,dc=com contains invalid user
name: "test_user:IT"

Is ":" colon an invalid character in uid ?.

Thanks,
Vinay