nslcd starts failing logins after about an hour.

nslcd starts failing logins after about an hour.

We've been testing moving over to pam-ldapd from pam-ldap but have run
into an interesting problem. We set up two hosts, one in the same
datacenter as the LDAP servers, and the other in another datacenter
about 500 miles away (latency is about 16ms). They're communicating
via LDAPS over port 636, and the servers are running OpenDJ 2.4.1.

The host in the same datacenter as the LDAP servers has no issues.
Immediately after starting nslcd the host in the remote data center
also has no issues with logins, however after about an hour LDAP
logins fail. The only way to get LDAP logins working again on the
remote host is to restart nslcd. Other than the distance from the LDAP
server, the only other difference with the remote host is that it only
has one LDAP server listed in its config whereas the local host has
both LDAP servers listed.

The logs from nslcd during the login failures show some of the look
ups succeeding and some timing out: https://gist.github.com/967015

Any help in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

-J