Re: Support for pam_ldap configuration

> Attached is a nslcd.h (and diff with current SVN) that should give an
> idea of the changes I have in mind. Any input here is very much
> appreciated.

> /* returns either "nopasswd", "userpasswd" or "rootpasswd" to specify
>   the kind of (old) password required for changing the password */
> #define NSLCD_CONFIG_PAM_ROOTPWMOD                  654

Not sure why we would need "nopasswd", "userpasswd", and "rootpasswd" config.

The kind of (old) password required for changing password depends on client-side
(who initiates the password change) and on server-side (admin/pwdmgr dn &
admin/pwdmgr pwd) configurations, not just server-side configuration:

admin (root) change of end-user password, pam_ldap testing uid==0:
     if admin/pwdmgr DN and admin/pwdmgr pwd are configured on the server side,
     no old password is prompted, e.g.,

     # passwd testuser
    New password:
    Retype new password:
    passwd: password updated successfully

    If admin/pwdmgr DN is configured on the server side, but not admin/pwdmgr
pwd,
    the LDAP administrator password should be queried, e.g.,

    # passwd testuser
    LDAP administrator password:
    New password:
    Retype new password:
    passwd: password updated successfully

If end-users change their own passwords, old passwords should always be
queried, e.g.,

   $ passwd
   (current) LDAP Password:
   New password:
   Retype new password:
   passwd: password updated successfully

If an end-user changes another user's password, the target user's
password should be queried. So far, this option does not seem to be supported,
e.g.,

   testuser1$  passwd testuser2
   passwd: You may not view or modify password information for testuser2

> One thing that isn't addressed is the signedness of the numeric values.
> This could also be defined. Another is that for FreeBSD it would be very
> useful to combine PASSWD and SHADOW. Perhaps this is appropriate for a
> new map or some other solution.

The ppolicy configuration should probably be supported/tested as well.

> I can't see a way to handle this without incompatible changes so I've
> update NSLCD_VERSION. I would be interested if anyone can come up with a
> nice way of dealing with this in a more compatible way.
>
> Another thing that would be nice is to have some mechanism in place to
> make the requests a little more flexible to avoid these kind of upgrade
> paths in the future.
>
>> nssov is using nss-pam-ldapd 0.8.3. We'd like to upgrade to the
>> version with the pam config features merged in. After that, we can
>> sync up the effort and upgrade nssov the same time as nss-pam-ldapd.
>
> Are there any known issues with 0.8.10 (apart from the missing config
> requests)?

0.8.3 seems to be working fine. I would expect 0.8.10 works as well.

> --
> -- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - http://arthurdejong.org --
> <nslcd.h><nslcd.h.diff>

Ted C. Cheng