Re: nslcd config and debconf

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 18:27 +0400, Vasiliy Molostov wrote:
> I am not in sure, but I think you have some point to argument, that will
> help me to understand how these parameters should indeed work
> successfully, and I'll very thankful for this help.

The basis for the behaviour is that package configuration using
dpkg-reconfigure should preserve manual administrator changes to the
configuration files.

The postinst updates the configuration file based on the values in the
debconf database but the config script reads the current values from the
config file first in order to preserve the changes. When running
dpkg-reconfigure the reconfiguration is done between running the config
script and running the postinst.

If the nslcd.conf file is absent the nslcd config script will use any
existing debconf values and fall back to guessing sane values depending
on the environment (e.g. use dc=example,dc=com if the system is in the
example.com domain).

This means that upon installation debconf preseeding is an option. For
other automated changes to the configuration file, this will have to be
done by modifying nslcd.conf.

More background information is available in the debconf-devel(7) manual
page. One of the key points from it: "The issue to watch out for here is
that debconf is not intended to be, and must not be used as a registry."

Hope this clarifies some things,