Re: nslcd: error reading from client: Timer expired

On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 16:26 +0100, Mark Jas wrote:
> I’m having touble when my users have lots of files opened on a samba
> file server. (Serveral thousand files from 1 client (terminal server))
>
> Samba complains that it cannot lookup uid’s, file locks are lost and
> my log files show lots of error messages like:
>
> nslcd[1477]: [d22003] error reading from client: Timer expired

This is a notification that communication between nslcd and the NSS
module timed out.

> And does anybody know how to debug the issue?

Which version of nss-pam-ldapd are you using? Versions 0.7.18 and 0.8.11
contain a fix for when a large number of file descriptors are open.

Running nslcd in debugging mode ensures that it produces a lot more
debugging information that could be useful to pinpoint the issue.
Amongst other things it logs the pid that made the request and the kind
of request.

If the problem turns out that nslcd is being held up while trying to
return large query results back to the application while the application
is not reading information quickly enough, increasing the number of
threads nslcd uses could be an option.