Problem with PAM password changes

I have successfully setup a syncrepl replica and master.    The replica uses updateRef and chaining.   I've verified that my proxy authorization works.   I'm able to change a user's password from the command line with ldapmodify.

However, if I try to change a user's password via the PAM stack (i.e., with "passwd" or from the Gnome GUI), I get:

"Other (e.g., implementation specific) error (80) Additional info: SASL(-7): invalid parameter supplied: Unable to find a callback: 32774"

I tried changing pam_ldap.conf to only use "crypt" (instead of exop) but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Frank