-----Original Message-----
From: nss-pam-ldapd-users
[nss-pam-ldapd-users-bounces+saikiran.reddy=wipro.com [at] lists.arthurdejong.org]
 On Behalf Of Arthur de Jong
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 1:41 AM
To: nss-pam-ldapd-users@lists.arthurdejong.org
Subject: Re: ** Newsletter/Marketing email** Re: PAM triggers requests to LDAP
server even when NSCD is configured

** This mail has been sent from an external source. Treat hyperlinks and
attachments in this email with caution**

On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 18:33 +0000, Todd Grayson wrote:
> I apologize if this is off track but the cache is not going to
> perform the search/bind.   The user/group is in the cache, the
> authentication event will still search/bind against the LDAP service?

That is correct. Authentication requests do not go through nscd so always
require a roundtrip to LDAP. If you run nslcd in debug mode you can see which
queries it performs exactly but it should probably do two username lookups for
the user:
- one by nslcd to turn the username into a user DN that can be used for
  the LDAP BIND operation
- one search after the user has logged in to see if the user can see
  their own information (this is tunable with pam_authc_search)

> Theres no way to get away from that. Otherwise you would have
> scenarios where users who have been disabled still being able to
> authenticate randomly to systems in the environment for some period
> until their cached data drops.

With the old modules there was a PAM module that could help with that
(pam_ccreds) but I don't know for sure it works with nss-pam-ldapd correctly
though. The idea is that it should also work for offline authentication (but it
has the downside that disabled accounts can still be used if detached).

> ...nscd does not cache authentication information such as passwords.
> As such, new login attempts would fail because nscd does not cache the
> equivalent of shadow passwords, which would allow new logins to
> succeed. However, established login sessions will continue to function
> as normal.

Depending on the nscd version and implementation ncd will also not cache user
to groups lookup (which groups does this user belong to).

There has been some ideas in the past to implement caching in nslcd of all
lookups and credentials but this has not been implemented (patches welcome).

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org -
https://clicktime.symantec.com/a/1/O2F-ugxIVLFukXVQTz7bPFfdtfr6KJSnlKKpWP_sQzo=?d=cbMZtNRUdap3_Wj_7MnhDj9sJv8Un9I1zNkhK4RD05awt7mcrAUbiemygbbpoidjqT9mUS77ihHEcaTHzfaFrz1_tYov-IDF_6kQhpwv-8X7DvohZULSxhiiDaveScZxAOURBhBxttBc47s1y91BG9_b5xKUVnat0ZVMhO_JP2H4bHOvzq2YWZZ8sOkUuJXCAgWGCq2rJb_npDLPqh1mvzwBus3MmI2tye4ZEOa8vWU9ymK3QqopIkXxBp8RDzCHY4cw9vPWVMLTe6so584N1AsnNEtZJBQRwKwHBdCfA_qn-FlAZz8de5YYlb8h0M136Xc7cYO884g7zg_2ZhV2znO4gM5l6EK77GDwgy48m6Qs6ktvXqhJnNhP93Tk-xV5yCUpUI-b-VQLzHRbZbW8mZrQGQ-ue86qPVomWFvz48siR4jEyJP8ggzcAOzV90lzXf1eHMtYm3Si4h5ASW6I6LpcLPHCKSkaflWM9Pik7HqMQXmQLve5CHKj6G2RdVa3gWK60nYAhIa3UNl8TI8%3D&u=https%3A%2F%2Farthurdejong.org%2F

contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. The
viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email. www.wipro.com