Re: ** Newsletter/Marketing email** Re: PAM triggers requests to LDAP server even when NSCD is configured

On Mon, 2018-01-15 at 04:55 +0000, saikiran.reddy@wipro.com wrote:
> Summarizing what I gather from both your responses:
> (iii) In essence, the use of nscd is for scenarios when the node
> loses connectivity to the LDAP server and NOT for reducing the load
> on the LDAP server itself.
> Is my understanding correct ?

It is actually more the other way around:
- you can use nscd to reduce the number of searches performed on the
  LDAP server (though not all and authentication requests always go to
  the LDAP server)
- it does not really help when losing connectivity

> If my aim is to reduce the load on the LDAP server what are my
> options ?

The simplest solution is running nscd which should reduce the load. A
more complex (but more effective) solution would be to run a caching
LDAP proxy.

Hope this helps,

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - https://arthurdejong.org/ --