Re: problem with passwd over pam_ldap

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed report.

On Thu, 2019-07-11 at 20:04 +0200, Martin Gröger wrote:
> There is first an passwdModifyOID request visible, which does not
> contain the old password. In fact this LDAP access is successful, the
> extendedResponse contains rc=0, and the password is changed on the
> LDAP server. Nevertheless the debug output from the nslcd process
> says that the access failed (with Decoding error).

This "Decoding error" response comes from the OpenLDAP client library.
The only difference I in Wireshark is that your LDAP server responds
with:

extendedResp
    resultCode: success (0)
    matchedDN:
    errorMessage:
    response: 3000

While my OpenLDAP server responds with:

extendedResp
    resultCode: success (0)
    matchedDN:
    errorMessage:

It appears that the OpenLDAP client library is confused by the 3000
response. I have no idea if this is a bug in the client library.

Thanks,

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - https://arthurdejong.org/ --