Re: Compatibility between nslcd and samba running as LDAP AD/DC server: services migration

On Wed, 2020-10-14 at 18:55 +0200, RhineDevil wrote:
> As follows:
>
> echo       7/tcp
> echo       7/udp
> echo       4/ddp
>
> dn:
> CN=echo+ipServiceProtocol=ddp,CN=services,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=mydomain,DC=ldom
> cn: echo
> objectClass: ipService
> objectClass: top
> ipServicePort: 4
> ipServiceProtocol: ddp
>
> I need advice on the best way to put it understandable by nslcd,
> given also the fact that unlike regular OpenLDAP database, multiple
> CNs with the same name may exist, as long that the internal GUID is
> different

For nslcd you can encode the above in two or three entities. It should
expand the presence of double attributes into multiple results. So you
could create one entry with

  cn: echo
  ipServicePort: 7
  ipServiceProtocol: udp
  ipServiceProtocol: tcp

and one with

  cn: echo
  ipServicePort: 4
  ipServiceProtocol: ddp

Since they are different services (both named echo) that should
conceptually also be nicest solution.

Having said that I have not personally seen much use for putting
service definitions in LDAP. There are relatively few parts of the
system that use the mechanism anyway and those are served fine with the
/etc/service file on the system.

Kind regards,

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - https://arthurdejong.org/ --