Re: [nssldap] id: cannot find name for user ID #

Re: [nssldap] id: cannot find name for user ID #

Adam Williams skrev, on 25-01-2008 15:23:

I'm trying to set up nss_ldap to work with my openldap 2.3.39 installation on Fedora 8. When I su -l adamtest (an account in openldap), I get the following error:

[root@roark etc]# su -l adamtest
id: cannot find name for user ID 773
[I have no name!@roark ~]$ id
uid=773 gid=100(users) groups=100(users)

[...]

anyone see why i'm getting the "id: cannot find name for user ID 773 [I have no name!@roark ~]$ id" error? any ideas?

Surely many who, panting at the leash at establishing (half) tight ACLs have had this. I know I have.

Without going through your ACLs with a fine tooth comb, you're cutting out the binddn from reading the salient parts of posixAccount that are normally to be found in /etc/passwd.

Begin by cutting out all your present ACLs and substituting 'access to * by * write' as only ACL; that will work. Work back from that to what you hope to establish of ACLs.

ACLs are tricky and do not necessarily do what you might imagine at first sight. This is one large area where OL needs a whole lot of reading up on, and practice.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw