[nssldap] binddn vs rootbinddn

I am having a problem with nss_ldap, and I'm hoping the list can shed some light on this.

I previously had rootbinddn set (rootbinddn cn=Webtools,dc=law,dc=harvard,dc=edu) and this was working fine for checking my attributes under uid=username, and for getting the gidNumber from my group (which is a little bit more complicated due to not using groups!).

So, when logging in it would assign me the gidNumber for isMemberOf: cn=sftpuser,ou=roles, and that worked ok, but looking up 'getent group sftpuser' would return nothing.  On advice from IRC, I set my binddn and put my password right into the ldap.conf file and now the same search works fine (finally).

However, I don't want my password right in plain view.  Is there a way I can adjust things in nss_ldap or openldap to make it so I can just set rootbinddn, and not binddn?

Thanks,