Re: [nssldap] client timeout

Eric Ritchie wrote:
I'm having an issue with client response when a server fails. This may
be the same issue discussed in the thread "No timeout for nss ldap". I
have 3 servers running openldap 2.3.39. I have several Redhat 4 clients.
I configured the uri line with the 3 servers on each client:
uri ldap://1.2.3.4 ldap://1.2.3.5 ldap://1.2.3.6

If I go to the first ldap server and stop slapd, there is no noticeable
effect on the clients. If I shut down the server, or disable the
network, the clients will hang. I have experimented with bind_timelimit
and bind_policy. Changing the bind_policy did not seem to have any
effect. Setting the bind_timelimit to 1 and running nscd seem to help
clients the most. Is there any way I can configure the clients to better
handle an LDAP server shutdown?

Upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.4; the ldap.conf syntax has been extended to allow you to configure connection timeouts.

--
  -- Howard Chu