Re: Stdnum: Mauritian national identifier number

On Fri, 2018-07-13 at 14:17 +0200, Bradley Smith wrote:
> I got a response from the senior technical advisor to the Mauritian
> minister of Technology and communication with a description of how
> the check digit is generated and validated. There is some code below
> if you're interested in implementing it.

Thank you, I'm working on integrating this into stdnum.

> I was hoping that given your experience in building these you either
> may know how to perform the checksum validation for Mauritius ID
> numbers or may be able to figure it out given a few sample ID
> numbers.

In general it is very difficult to "guess" a checksum algorithm,
especially because there are so many possibilities. I have done that a
few times when I had some hints on what the algorithm might be like and
had a large testing dataset.

Some more-or-less official source and some numbers to test against are
the best way to ensure that you have a correct implementation.

Do yo have any public references to the structure of the number that I
can refer to? Also do you happen to have some numbers that I can use
for tests? Ideal would be a test-set of around 100 numbers that ensure
that the algorithm is correct in most corner cases.

Kind regards,

--
-- arthur - arthur@arthurdejong.org - https://arthurdejong.org/ --