Re: nslcd: ldap_result() timed out

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 12:52 +0200, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> With some boxes the user session is blocked during some seconds, every some
> minutes. I have looked all the config files and the _only_ thing that i have
> found is that the computer lost the ldap connection, so the client know
> nothings about the user (uid, groups, permissions, etc) and blocks the
> session
> till know the info.
>
> In the /var/log/messages I got a lot of:
> Oct  4 12:01:22 sira nslcd[27037]: [fd6b4f] ldap_result() timed out
> Oct  4 12:01:57 sira nslcd[27037]: [46b5a9] ldap_result() timed out
> Oct  4 12:02:50 sira nslcd[27037]: [ee1348] ldap_result() timed out

There could be a problem with timed out connections. If this happens
some time after start-up you could use the idle_timelimit option to
close the connections after a certain time.

This is something where the 0.8 series performs better than the 0.7
series (it actively closes the connection when the timeout expires while
the 0.7 series waits for the next request).

Tweaking some of the other timeout values could also help to improve
responsiveness. If a timeout occurs nslcd should retry the request a few
times.

Do you use SSL?