Re: Support for Base64 encoded values

On 18/06/17 21:27, "Trent W. Buck" <twb-nss-pam-ldapd-users@cyber.com.au>
wrote:
>Hmm, it looks like this is already a solved problem for LDAP?
>
>    http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2006/06347-ldap-info.txt
>    → RFC 4518
>    →  The input string is to be normalized to Unicode Form KC
>       (compatibility composed) as described in [UAX15].  The output is
>the
>       normalized string.
>
>I don't understand LDAP RFCs very well.
>Does that mean an RFC4518-conformant LDAP *server* will handle
>everything, and
>nslcd's current behaviour is correct?

From my reading of the RFC, it looks like it. Unfortunately, as far as I
can tell openldap does not yet support RFC 4518 according to
http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/649.html. They also claim that most
LDAP server implementations don’t support RFC 4518 either.

In fact the RFC seems to include a lot more than normalization:

“ The following six-step process SHALL be applied to each presented and
   attribute value in preparation for character string matching rule
   Evaluation.

  1) Transcode
  2) Map
  3) Normalize