Offline caching to use with laptops

Hello,

I'm using nslcd succesfully as a way to connect to an OpenLDAP server and
authenticate through PAM.

In my usual stack i have some laptops that also connect to it but some times
they need to be able to be use the same users offline.

I found solutions like pam_ccred but they are very unstable/undesirable.
Mirroring the ldap users manualy is also not a good solution for me and i
wouldn't want to expose the userPassword.

Do you know some solution that can be good for this use case?

Regards.