Re: [nssldap] nss_ldap under Solaris 10

You might take a look at nss_ldapd. I haven't used it yet, but it splits the nss calls from the ldap library.

http://ch.tudelft.nl/~arthur/nss-ldapd/

-jake

Jacob Pszonowsky

jdp16@mac.com
(c) 415.225.2647
(f) 415.358.5918

On Jan 22, 2008, at 5:14 PM, Paul B. Henson wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Matthew Hardin wrote:

We at Symas have successfully built and packaged pam_ldap and nss_ldap
for Solaris 10. There have been no reported issues with our current
releases, and the packages appear to be working well at a number of large
and small sites.

Thanks for the feedback. I did some initial testing compiled against the native Sun LDAP libraries, I got it working in plain text okay but not with
SSL. I knew I had the certificates configured correctly for the Sun
libraries because the native ldapsearch command worked fine, but nss_ldap would only complain it could not contact the server. I saw traffic to the SSL port, I'm assuming some incompatibility between nss_ldap and the Sun
SSL stuff.

Unfortunately my budget precludes purchasing your packages :)...

One thing to watch for in the standard build for nss_ldap that uses SSL, particularly on Solaris, is the namespace pollution that takes place if nss_ldap is loaded directly into a process's namespace. This can cause

I've actually had similar issues under Linux. One time I ended up with
nss_ldap linked against an older version of openSSL than sshd, with rather annoying failures. That is the one thing I think Sun got right, splitting up the process actually contacting the LDAP server away from the client calling it. It would be nice if nss_ldap could evolve such a mechanism with
a dedicated daemon for LDAP communications and a small nss stub
communicating via basic sockets to prevent namespace pollution...

Thanks...

--
Paul B. Henson | (909) 979-6361 | http://www.csupomona.edu/ ~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson@csupomona.edu