Re: [nssldap] nss_ldap, tls_key, and nscd

Re: [nssldap] nss_ldap, tls_key, and nscd

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Howard Chu<hyc@highlandsun.com>  said:
Chris Adams wrote:
Is there any way around this?

Not using nss_ldap. Use nss-ldapd or OpenLDAP's nssov instead.

Hmm.  Well, my servers are RHEL 5 (and some still RHEL 4), so I need to
try to use nss_ldap if at all possible.

Why? Those other packages will also work perfectly well on RHEL.

I guess lots of other people are using nss_ldap; how do you control
access to the LDAP server(s)?  Just using IP-based filters (host
firewalls, router ACLs, etc.)?

You're asking the wrong question. The point of using a distributed directory is to make information widely accessible. As such, if you don't want information to be accessible, it probably doesn't belong in a directory in the first place.

As for information used by nss-ldap - Guillaume asked a good question - what information are you exposing here that needs to be protected? Usernames and id numbers are public information already. User passwords should never be exposed via nss-ldap; there is no legitimate use for that. Authentication (and authorization) should be performed at the server. I.e., use pam_ldap and configure it to Bind to LDAP in order to handle authentication.

--
  -- Howard Chu