Re: [nssldap] nss_ldap, tls_key, and nscd

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Howard Chu<hyc@highlandsun.com>  said:
Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Howard Chu<hyc@highlandsun.com>   said:
Chris Adams wrote:
Is there any way around this?

Not using nss_ldap. Use nss-ldapd or OpenLDAP's nssov instead.

Hmm.  Well, my servers are RHEL 5 (and some still RHEL 4), so I need to
try to use nss_ldap if at all possible.

Why? Those other packages will also work perfectly well on RHEL.

nss_ldap is _included_ in RHEL, so Red Hat packages it, maintains it,
tracks security and bug issues, etc.

Ah, great. So you can just ask RHEL about this problem and they'll solve it for you. Cool.

Currently, they are only "public" to the limited number of people that
can access the systems.  These are systems that are providing various
Internet services; they aren't behind any firewalls or such.  Right now,
the Internet can't tell the valid users from the invalid (which is one
level of security).  If the directory services are feeding users,
groups, and IDs to the Internet, that's a lot of information that is not
otherwise public.

If you have private information on a machine residing on a public network, you have bigger problems than just "how does nss-ldap connect to my server." Private data should be behind a firewall. At the very least you need a router that rejects packets with bogus source addresses. (I.e., drops externally generated packets whose source addresses match internal network numbers.) Once that's in place, you can use tcp_wrappers on the LDAP server if you want finer-grained host access control.

--
  -- Howard Chu