[nssldap] Re: disconnected nss_ldap

On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 01:38 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> But as soon as the LDAP server is available again, ssh to the node works
> just fine.

I fixed this.  This is because of pam_unix's account mode.  It wants to
verify the shadow entry when the passwd entry contains a "x" for the
password -- hence my previous thread about fixing this in nss_ldap.
Adding broken_shadow to pam_unix's entry in the account mode works
around it.

> Indeed.  My experiments were that even with unlimited, the passwd entry
> for the current, logged in user disappeared.  I was going to demonstrate
> on my Ubuntu Karmic laptop but I can't seem to reproduce this here.

I spoke too soon/didn't wait long enough.

Witness my laptop, where I am logged in (as brian), have nscd running
with:
        reload-count            unlimited
        positive-time-to-live   passwd          60

$ id brian
id: brian: No such user

I also have a user "keith" in my LDAP directory mapped into the NSS
passwd map which I was testing with before when I thought it was
working.  All this to say that "keith" should definitely be in nscd's
persistent cache as I was executing "id keith" repeatedly, watching for
it to disappear, and now, like the "brian" entry, it has:

$ id keith
id: keith: No such user

So for whatever reason, NSCD is expiring entries from it's persistent
cache despite the "reload-count unlimited".  ~sigh~

b.