Re: Mapping attributes in nslcd.conf

RFC 2307 doesn't specify a "gid" attribute for posixGroups (which is what the group map is based on, according to the man page). The string representation of a group name is stored in the cn attribute, so you'll need to try to map that. That being said, I don't think the uid is available at the time you're mapping the group, so I'm not sure you can rewrite based on that. (Group lookup is a separate operation from user lookup.)

You *can* create local groups in /etc/group. If your LDAP directory doesn't contain a gidNumber entry, you can map to be the same as their uidNumber that via:

map passwd gidNumber "$uidNumber"

Alternatively, you could place all users in the group "users" (100 on Ubuntu) via:

map passwd gidNumber "100"

(This is all untested, but is my best understanding.)

David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
IT Systems Support Professional IV
Kennesaw State University
Online Development Group