Re: non-local (LDAP) users can log in without auth???

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 15:20 -0800, Greg Newton wrote:
> I've been working on getting an Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) lab up and
> running, using the stock versions found in the repos (e.g. nslcd
> v.0.7.6) an I've run in to an interesting problem: ldap users can get a
> session on the machine without a password. That is, if a user exists in
> LDAP they can log in to the machine by hitting the return key when asked
> for a password; this does not work for local users, nor can you make up
> an ID and expect it to work. BTW, if you give it a wrong password, you
> can't get a session (as in you get a failed LDAP authentication message).

There seem to be some LDAP servers that silently fall back to anonymous
bind when logging in without a password. For this purpose in release
0.7.7 the nullok PAM option was introduced.

It may be a good idea to raise an issue in Ubuntu for this and try to
get this fixed there. Attached is a patch against 0.7.6 for the relevant
changes that landed in 0.7.7.