Re: Requirement for NSLCD

On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 15:42 -0400, Liam Hopkins wrote:
> I wish to authenticate against LDAP, but I don't wish to use NSLCD.
> NSLCD seems to be a requirement of nss-pam-ldapd. The
> '--disable-nslcd' argument to nss-pam-ldapd's configure script
> therefore confuses me.

When using the nss-pam-ldapd NSS or PAM modules, you need nslcd or a
component that provides the same protocol.

The --disabled-nslcd option is there to disable building it for the
cases where you have some other component providing the functionality.
For example, there is pynslcd or the nssov overlay in slapd. I've also
heard of people having their own implementation against another data
source.