[nssldap] Re: how disable shadow map

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 15:26 +0100, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Do you need any shadow functionality?

Don't think so, nope, given that my authentication is handled by
kerberos.

> If not, just remove ldap from the shadow
> line in /etc/nsswitch.conf .

Ahhh.  If only it were that simple.  Of course I tried this and it's
that particular action that makes pam_unix's account action fail access.
The reason is that regardless of whether ldap is listed
in /etc/nsswitch.conf's shadow configuration or not, the passwd map
provided by nss_ldap still contains an "x" in the password field.

That "x" is what directs pam_unix to try to do shadow checks for the
account, and when the account is not found in the shadow map, pam_unix
fails the account action.

What needs to happen is that nss_ldap needs to stop presenting the
passwd entries with "x" in the password field if the shadow map is
undesired.

> Don't give nss_ldap access to the userPassword attribute.

And do you think that will prevent nss_ldap from presenting the password
field in the password map with a "x"?  I'm willing to try it.  What
configuration changes do you suggest?  It's been a while since I
originally set this up and would have to go refresh my aged memory on
what to do exactly.

> There is no reason
> to expose password hashes ...

In fact there are not even hashes in the userPassword attribute as LDAP
is not used at all for authentication.

> If you need other shadow functionality (e.g. password expiry), use ppolicy
> instead. If you need account expiry, I don't know if there are other options.

I don't enforce password and account expiry but I would imagine kerberos
handles this for me.

b.